Grilled Shrimp and Asparagus Skewers – a delightful combination of succulent shrimp and crisp asparagus, elevated by a tangy marinade. The process is simple: marinate shrimp and asparagus in a flavorful blend of olive oil, lemon zest, and spices. Skewer them, grill to perfection, and savor the smoky notes that enhance the natural flavors. This dish not only brings health benefits, like shrimp’s protein punch and asparagus’s nutrient richness, but also carries historical roots, with shrimp being a global favorite and asparagus cherished by ancient civilizations. Soak in the BBQ aroma and enjoy a refreshing taste of spring and early summer – ideal for outdoor gatherings or a light meal. Pair with a salad or grilled bread to complete the experience.
Shrimp: High in protein and very low in fat. They provide selenium, vitamin B12, and phosphorus.
Asparagus: Low in calories but a great source of essential vitamins, including vitamin K and vitamin A. It’s also known to be beneficial for digestive health due to its fibre content.
Grilled Shrimp and Asparagus Skewers
- 1 lb large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 bunch of asparagus tough ends removed and cut into 1.5-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika or chili powder optional for added spice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wooden or metal skewers
- In a large bowl, combine olive oil, minced garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, optional paprika or chili powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Add shrimp and asparagus to the marinade, ensuring all pieces are well-coated. Let it marinate for at least 30 minutes, preferably in the refrigerator.
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for about 20 minutes to prevent burning.
- Thread shrimp and asparagus pieces onto the skewers alternately.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill skewers for 2-3 minutes on each side or until the shrimp turn pink and are opaque.
- Serve immediately.
Health Benefits:Shrimp: High in protein and very low in fat. They provide selenium, vitamin B12, and phosphorus. Asparagus: Low in calories but a great source of essential vitamins, including vitamin K and vitamin A. It’s also known to be beneficial for digestive health due to its fibre content.
Did You Know & Roots and Tradition:Shrimp: Have been consumed for centuries and are a staple in various global cuisines. In ancient times, they were easily accessible due to their abundance in coastal regions. Asparagus: Native to most of Europe, northern Africa, and western Asia. The Greeks and Romans loved asparagus and even had phrases celebrating its speed of growth and harvesting it in the spring.
Nutrients & Calories:(Note: These values are approximate and can vary based on exact measurements of ingredients and cooking method.) Serving: 1 skewer (assuming the recipe makes 8 skewers)
Vitamin K (primarily from asparagus): ~25% of the Daily Value (DV)
Grilled Shrimp and Asparagus Skewers bring together the succulence of shrimp and the earthy crispness of fresh asparagus. The char from the grill adds a smoky note, enhancing the natural flavours of both the shrimp and the asparagus. Paired with a tangy lemon and garlic marinade, this dish is a refreshing and light option for BBQs and outdoor gatherings, celebrating the essence of spring and early summer. Enjoy it with a side salad or some grilled bread!