Indulge in the sublime fusion of tradition and health with Asparagus and Lemon Risotto. This Italian classic pays homage to its roots while offering a nutritious blend of creamy Arborio rice, vibrant asparagus, and zesty lemon. Discover the rich history of risotto, its regional variations, and the health benefits of asparagus and lemon. A dish that tantalizes your taste buds and nourishes your body.
Asparagus and Lemon Risotto
- 1 cup Arborio rice risotto rice
- 1 bunch of asparagus trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine optional
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley or basil chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Prepare the Asparagus: Blanch the asparagus in boiling water for 2-3 minutes until slightly tender but still vibrant green. Drain the asparagus and immediately transfer it to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Once cooled, drain and set aside.
- Heat the Broth: In a saucepan, heat the vegetable or chicken broth over medium heat. Keep it simmering throughout the cooking process.
- Sauté the Onion and Garlic: In a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until softened and translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Toast the Rice: Add the Arborio rice to the pot and stir to coat it with the oil and butter. Cook the rice for about 1-2 minutes until it becomes slightly translucent around the edges.
- Deglaze with Wine (optional): If using wine, pour it into the pot with the rice. Stir constantly until the wine is mostly absorbed.
- Start Adding Broth: Begin adding the hot broth to the rice, one ladleful at a time. Stir the rice constantly and allow the liquid to be mostly absorbed before adding more. Continue this process for about 15-20 minutes or until the rice is creamy and cooked al dente. You may not need to use all of the broth.
- Incorporate Asparagus and Lemon: Once the rice is cooked to your desired consistency, gently stir in the blanched asparagus, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Cook for another 1-2 minutes to heat the asparagus.
- Finish with Cheese and Butter: Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the grated Parmesan cheese and the remaining tablespoon of butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste. The risotto should have a creamy consistency.
- Serve: Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or basil (if using). Serve the Asparagus and Lemon Risotto immediately while
Risotto, a beloved Italian dish, has been part of Italian culinary tradition since the 14th century. The word “risotto” originates from the Italian term “riso,” meaning rice. Risotto was initially a humble dish in Northern Italy, particularly in Lombardy and Piedmont, where rice paddies thrived. Over time, various regional versions of risotto emerged, each celebrating local produce and flavours. Asparagus and Lemon Risotto, with its seasonal ingredients, pays homage to the rich culinary heritage of Italy, showcasing the art of perfectly cooked creamy Arborio rice combined with vibrant asparagus and zesty lemon. Health Benefits:
Asparagus is a star ingredient in this risotto, offering an array of health benefits. Asparagus is low in calories and high in fibre, making it a great addition to a balanced diet. It is also rich in vitamins A, C, E, and K, as well as folate, which supports various bodily functions, including immune health and cell division. Additionally, asparagus contains antioxidants, such as glutathione, which may help protect the body against oxidative stress and contribute to overall well-being. The lemon zest and juice in the risotto add a burst of refreshing flavour and bring their health benefits to the table. Lemons are a great source of vitamin C, known for their immune-boosting properties and their role in collagen synthesis, promoting healthy skin and wound healing. When combined, asparagus and lemon create a tantalizing risotto dish that not only celebrates tradition but also nourishes the body with an abundance of essential nutrients. So, next time you enjoy Asparagus and Lemon Risotto, savour the rich history of risotto’s Italian roots and relish the health benefits of its nutritious ingredients! On average, a serving of Asparagus and Lemon Risotto (approximately 1 cup) may contain around 300 to 350 calories. Keep in mind that this is a rough estimate, and the actual calorie count may differ based on factors such as the amount of butter, cheese, and olive oil used in the recipe.
The exquisite recipe above has been thoughtfully crafted and meticulously curated by our esteemed Chef Claudiu, a culinary virtuoso with a passion for creating delectable dishes that delight the senses. Drawing upon his culinary expertise and dedication to delivering exceptional flavors, Chef Claudiu has artfully combined the finest ingredients to bring you the delightful Asparagus and Lemon Risotto. While the image provided within the recipe is a stock image from Canva, rest assured that every aspect of this culinary masterpiece has been carefully orchestrated by Chef Claudiu to ensure a gastronomic experience that transcends expectations. At our culinary haven, we take pride in offering you not just a recipe, but a symphony of flavors orchestrated by a maestro of taste.